Monday, December 6, 2010

#7 Anna Gooden - TIE - Most Inspiring

Where did you take the buck? (City/State)
Manton, Michigan

Buck Stats (Points/Features)
7 Point

The Story: I come from a long line of outdoor enthusiasts. Four years ago, at 27, I decided to finally take my hunter's safety course. My Dad encouraged me every step of the way. The past four years have yielded two children for my husband and I, but no deer! It has been hard to find time to hunt being a busy Mom and wife. This year, I was determined to get a buck! My Dad and I went out in the afternoon on opening day. We had not seen anything in the morning, or in the afternoon for that matter. It was nearly dark and my dad said, "Let's give it five more minutes." We both turned our attention to a field where a dark shadow was visible, and moving cautiously. My Dad got his scope on it first and said, "It's a buck. Do you have your scope on it?" I was so excited, I fumbled at first. "No, I don't have it, " I said. "Wait, I've got it." I released the safety on my 6mm and slowly pulled the trigger. My ears rang from the shot. On the field, approximately 60 yards away, lay my first deer -- a 7 point buck! Thankfully, it was an immediate kill shot and we didn't have to track it. I am so thankful I was able to share that moment with my Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment