Wednesday, December 9, 2009

*******BEST BUCK WINNER*******Male Hunter # 3


#3 - Brian Bartos - Traverse City


Buck Stats & important features * 10 point buck, approx. 175 lbs.

Where did you take this buck? Muskegon, MI

My brother called me up to help me with some work on a cabin my wife and I just bought. I didn't really want to travel the 2.5 hours down to muskegon from Traverse City, but I'm also not one to pass up free help. I thought I would put my bow in the car just in case I had a spare minute to hunt. My wife and I went down and we got the work done, and I got a day to hunt my Dad and Mom's place in Muskegon. They had had the property logged so I didn't recognize excatly where my trusty stand was, and consequently I got into it later than I would have liked. I was frustrated, but then I calmed down with the peaceful morning. After 30 minutes and a couple calls on my grunt, I heard footsteps behind me. I turned around only to see a bony head walking toward me. I hid behind my tree and took a couple deep breaths before putting my release on the string and getting ready. He walked right in - to within 12 yards broadside, and I drew halfway. He walked in some more and I fully drew back. I couldn't help but notice the size of the antlers, but quickly focused on the vitals of the deer. He locked eyes with me, only to see my arrow coming at him next. He ran off and I was extremely thankful for the good shot. I texted my wife and she got out of bed and helped me track the buck, only I didn't give her any details about how big he was. I was too nervous to follow blood, but thanks to "eagle eyes" we were on the trail. He went a ways, and I vowed if he went to the swamp we would get breakfast and come back. Then, just before the swamp I spotted him down by the edge of the power line! I yelled for Angie to come over and the look of surprise was classic. We had a hug before calling my dad and brother to come see. My grandpa and uncle even came out special to see it. This will always be a buck to remember for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment